17 September 2008

naked in the rain

Ok it is late and granted I have had a couple drinks, but I just want to call out the kind of people that have been continually eroding my faith in humanity.

Like "Momofgreatkids" who left a comment in response to this story about Ike survivors:

"The children's toys, baby pictures and Hampton's stethoscope sat in a foul slurry on the floor." When you evacuate, you are supposed to take irreplaceables with you. Not leave them. And the guy that left his livilhood (musical equipment)? What are these people thinking? I'm a survivor of Betsy, Camille, Andrew, Katrina and other storms . . and took irreplaceables with me. Hurricanes give AMPLE NOTICE of their arrival. It just takes time, discipline and a lot of HARD WORK to leave. You don't just walk out, say "Oh, well - the government will replace this for me". UGH!
This is pretty much the general tone of any tard posting on Ike stories on the chron.com website, and its been getting to me more and more. This one is not a perfect example of what I mean, it's just the latest. But the general sentiment is "god these people are so stupid for staying, they were in an evacuation zone wtf they should be held responsible" or, like similar responses to Katrina, "you life in a hurricane-prone zone wtf were you thinking its your fault for living there." Fuck you.

Yeah some people live there, because inevitably millions of people in this country live in natural disaster-prone areas. Its unavoidable. Gonna kick everyone out of Cali cos it has a high probability of earthquakes? Everyone out of the midwest because there's a fuckton of tornadoes? And yeah some people stayed when mandatory evacuations were ordered. BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE HAS THE CAPACITY TO LEAVE. That requires money for gas, hotels, meals,etc, for an indefinite amount of time. Evacuating is a PRIVILEGE. If the city of Houston had placed me in a mandatory evacuation zone last week, on my own I would not have been able to afford leaving. I have family who would have helped me out, but not everyone has that option.

I am hoping that no one who reads this actually blames any hurricane victims for what happened to them (i.e. Republicans). I just need somewhere to vent my frustration at the callousness that the internet affords certain fuckheads.

No comments: